Skip to Main Content

Ivey Asia History

Founded in 1922 as part of Western University, Ivey was the first business school in Canada. Ivey also established Canada's first undergraduate business degree, first MBA program, and first PhD program in business.

2016

Ivey announces the establishment of Asia Case Centre, thanks to the generous contributions of Dr. Henry K.S. Cheng, HBA ’71, MBA ’72, LLD ’97, and Dr. Simon Tin-Yin Cua, EMBA ’05, LLD ’15.

2015

Professor Chris WH Chan appointed Ivey Business School's Associate Dean, Asia to lead the School in Asia.

2011

Janet De Silva appointed Associate Dean of Ivey Asia.

2011

Phase I of Ivey's new building complete. Throughout the late summer and early fall, many staff members and some graduate students move into the new building permanently.

2010

Dean Carol Stephenson serves as a member of the organizing committee for the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Games.

2010

Ivey announces the formation of the Ian. O. Ihnatowycz Institute for Leadership following a generous gift from Ian Ihnatowycz and Maria Witer. The Institute has a clear mandate to "secure Ivey's position as one of the top ten leadership institutes on a global basis."

2010

Dean Carol Stephenson receives the Order of Canada for her contributions to Canadian business as a pioneering executive in the telecommunications industry and as Dean of the Richard Ivey School of Business.

2009

Ivey welcomed the 50th class into the Executive MBA program, a program that has operated in Canada since 1991 and in Hong Kong since 1998.

2009

With start-up funding of $5 million from the Government of Canada, and building on Ivey's established strength and leadership in bridging the gap between business, science and technology, Ivey establishes the Ivey International Centre for Health Innovation.

2009

Architects Hariri Pontarini is unanimously selected by the New Building Task Force to bring the vision of the new building into fruition.

2008

Ivey celebrates the 60th anniversary of both its MBA and Executive Development programs, the oldest in Canada, and the 10th anniversary of the opening of the Cheng Yu Tung Management Institute, Ivey's Hong Kong Campus.

2008

Site selected and approved for new landmark Ivey building in front of Brescia College on Western Road.

2008

Ivey students spend a day with the "Oracle of Omaha" Warren Buffett as part of the J.C. Taylor Lecture in Finance series.

2007

ING Leadership Centre officially opens in downtown Toronto and is the new home of the Executive MBA Program and Executive Development.

2007

Ivey's first 12-month MBA class graduates.

2007

Carol Stephenson reappointed for a second five-year term as Dean, effective July 2008.

2007

Ivey welcomes a fifth HBA section delivering on the first phase of its strategy to build the world's best undergraduate business program.

2007

Ivey's business library was renovated and re-named in honour of C.B. "Bud" Johnston, HBA '54, MBA '57, Ivey's Dean from 1978 - 1989. Over $1.8 million was raised in his honour and announced at the dedication ceremony held on Homecoming weekend.

2006

Dean Carol Stephenson transforms the MBA program into an intense twelve-month learning experience, focused on the capabilities required for Cross-Enterprise Leadership, the driving force behind Ivey's revolution in business education.

2006

Kevin O'Brien, HBA '93, Partner, SECOR Consulting, is appointed as Chair of the Ivey Alumni Association Board.

2006

Spencer Conference Centre, formerly Spencer Hall, is renamed Spencer Leadership Centre.

2005

Ivey announces the launch of Cross-Enterprise Leadership (CEL), a revolutionary new approach to business education.

2005

Ivey begins a comprehensive redesign of its programs, research and organization to focus on Cross-Enterprise Leadership which provides future leaders the skills to continuously adapt to the societal forces swirling around them such as globalization, competition and technology. It envisions a generation of executives who, even as they find themselves in functional roles, will have the breadth and capacity to always see the bigger picture and to lead initiatives that enhance the whole enterprise.

2005

In May 2006 the Ivey MBA became a 12-month program and takes place at Spencer Conference Centre.

2004

Arkadi Kuhlmann, HBA '71, MBA '72, Chairman and CEO, ING Direct USA fsb, is appointed as Chair of the Ivey Advisory Board.

2003

Carol Stephenson is appointed Dean of the Richard Ivey School of Business.

2002

The NCMRD is expanded, an atrium is added and the building renamed the Lawrence National Centre for Policy and Management, thanks to a generous gift from R. John (Jack) Lawrence, HBA '56.

2002

Spencer Conference Centre is expanded and renovated with the new entrance wing being named the Donald K. Johnson Executive Wing, after the generous support of Donald K. Johnson, MBA '63.

2001

The Ivey Campaign successfully closes having raised over $78 million in support.

2001

Ivey was ranked as the #1 Business School outside of the U.S. by The Wall Street Journal and rated in the top tier by Forbes, Business Week and the Financial Times.

2001

Christopher Matthews, MBA '72, CEO, The Hay Group, is appointed as Chair of the Ivey Advisory Board.

2001

The establishment of the Leenders Professors Emeriti Lounge is announced, thanks to the generous support of Arkadi Kuhlmann, HBA '71, MBA '72.

2000

Ivey is ranked by the Financial Times as one of the top 20 MBA programs in the world.

2000

The first students of the Hong Kong Executive MBA program graduate in Western's first convocation outside of Canada.

2000

Larry Wynant becomes Executive Director of the Cheng Yu Tung Management Institute and Ivey's first Associate Dean, Asia.

1998

The Cheng Yu Tung Management Institute is officially opened in the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre, thanks to the generous support of Henry K.S. Cheng, HBA '71, MBA '72, LLD '97.

1998

The Hong Kong Executive MBA program opens, with Joe DiStefano as its first Director.

1998

The Ivey Alumni Association Board is established, with representation from alumni of various ages, geographies and degrees. Ron Charles, MBA '71, Managing Partner, The Caldwell Partners, is appointed the inaugural Chair of this group of 40 alumni.

1998

The first Ivey Distinguished Service Awards are given to Earl Orser, LLD '91; Donald K. Johnson, MBA '63 and Michael Needham, MBA '68.

1998

Ronald Gage, Managing Partner, Ernst & Young, is appointed as Chair of the Ivey Advisory Board.

1997

The Ivey Campaign publicly launches, with a target of $75 million, the largest campaign by a single faculty in Canadian history. The Campaign is chaired by Bruce Birmingham, President of the Bank of Nova Scotia.

1997

Ivey's interest in Asia gathers momentum, with the establishment of the Asian Management Institute (AMI), led by Paul Beamish. AMI leads research and case writing initiatives for Ivey with Asian themes.

1997

Alumni help celebrate Ivey's 75th anniversary with parties across Canada and in major international centres.

1995

Lawrence G. Tapp, former CEO, Lawson Mardon, is appointed Dean.

1995

Richard M. Ivey family donates $11 million and School honors the relationship, that started over 45 years ago, by renaming the School after the inaugural Chair of the Advisory Committee, Richard G. Ivey.

1995

This gift forms the beginning of The Ivey Campaign, supporting the School's move to the world stage.

1995

Ivey's Executive MBA by videoconference is launched, led by Professor Terry Deutscher.

1993

Earl H. Orser, Chairman, London Life Insurance Company, appointed Chairman of the Advisory Committee.

1993

Journal of International Business begins its five year term at the School with Professor Paul Beamish as the Editor.

1992

Spencer Hall expanded, doubling its size.

1991

J.J. Wettlaufer Executive Development Centre opened in Toronto.

1991

Ivey Executive MBA program established in Toronto led by Professor J.P. (Peter) Killing.

1990

Professor Adrian B. Ryans appointed Dean.

1990

Richard J. Currie elected Chairman of the Advisory Committee.

1990

HBA International Case Competition established.

1989

Professor Alexander Mikalachki appointed acting Dean.

1986

NCMRD building opens thanks to support from the Federal Government, UWO and private donors.

1986

Donald G. Campbell of Maclean Hunter appointed Chairman of the Advisory Committee.

1985

Professor David S.R. Leighton appointed first Director of the National Centre for Management Research and Development (NCMRD).

1984

CIDA funds the China Program, as School partners with Tsinghua University. Professor J.J. (Joe) DiStefano is the founding Director.

1983

James C. Taylor Distinguished Lecture in Finance established.

1983

Ralph M. Barford of GSW and Camco appointed as Chair of the Advisory Committee.

1980

John A. (Jack) Armstrong of Imperial Oil appointed as Chairman of the Advisory Board.

1978

C.B. (Bud) Johnston appointed as Dean.

1978

Spencer Hall Continuing Education Centre officially opened, in partnership with the University of Western Ontario and Scotiabank.

1975

The School offers its first international Executive program, the Brazilian Management Course, led by Professor John Nicholson.

1975

Alan Burton of Simpson's appointed as Chair of the Advisory Committee.

1974

Centre for International Business studies established by Professor Harold Crookell, thanks to a five year grant from the Federal Government (Department of Industry, Trade and Commerce).

1971

Thanks to the support of CIDA (Canadian International Development Agency) the School assists in the development of management studies programs at the University of the West Indies in Jamaica and Trinidad.

1971

50th Birthday parties are celebrated with alumni across Canada. The first official alumni clubs start as a result of this initiative.

1970

Plan for Excellence started to raise $1.5 million for research, MBA and PhD Fellowship programs.

1969

Addition to the Richard Ivey Building doubles size of the School.

1969

Grant received from the Richard Ivey Foundation and the Richard and Jean Ivey Fund to support computer equipment and graduate fellowships.

1968

John E. Brent appointed Chairman of the Advisory Committee.

1967

Alumni Directory published, to commemorate Canada's Centennial. 5,927 alumni are listed.

1964

First PhD degree awarded to Alexander Mikalachki, MBA '60.

1964

Ford Foundation awards five year grant in support of the PhD program.

1963

Jack J. Wettlaufer appointed as Dean of the School.

1963

MBA program expands and adds second section.

1961

Senate approves the first PhD program in Business in Canada.

1961

W. Harold Rae appointed Chairman of the Advisory Committee.

1957

Richard G. Ivey leads an effort that funds the building of the School of Business Administration Building on campus. The building opens and honours his leadership by carrying his name (see photo right - Richard G. Ivey at the ceremony to open the new building).

1955

Jack R. White, President, Imperial Oil Company, appointed as Chairman, Advisory Committee.

1954

Fred W.P. Jones appointed as Dean.

1954

Richard G. Ivey receives Honorary Doctor of Law degree for his work with the Business School.

1953

Marketing Management Course established, as the second Executive program. Jack J. Wettlaufer is the founding Director.

1951

School moves to its first building, Goodholme, a former residence, located near the current location of King's College.

1950

The School of Business Administration is established as a separate faculty at Western with offices located in the basement of University College.

1950

Lloyd W. Sipherd appointed first Dean of the School.

1950

Richard G. Ivey, Q.C., appointed first Chairman of the Advisory Committee.

1950

First MBA degree granted.

1948

Canada's top 100 CEOs and Presidents meet at Western and determine that there is a need for a National School of Business Administration. Actions from this meeting included the establishment of an Advisory Committee, and work started in examining the feasibility of an MBA degree program, Executive Education programs, and PhD program.

1948

The Management Training Course, Canada's first Executive program started. MTC was led by Walter Thompson, and combines Western and Harvard faculty.

1948

Canada's first MBA program established. Teaching began in the fall of 1948.

1942

Ross B. Willis appointed Acting Head of Department.

1938

Walter A. Thompson appointed Acting Head of Department.

1933

Quarterly Review of Commerce published. The name was later changed to Business Quarterly, Ivey Business Journal and now Ivey Business Journal Online.

1932

Graduate work in Business begun.

1929

Phillip H. Hensel appointed Head of Department. Ellis Morrow founds Faculty of Commerce at the University of British Columbia.

1927

Department of Commercial Economics name changed to Department of Business Administration, Faculty of Arts.

1925

Morrow establishes strong links with the Harvard Business School and travels to Harvard for training, under the direction of HBS Dean Wallace B. Donham.

1923

First six graduates with the degree, HBA for Business Administration granted.

1922

Ellis H. Morrow, a Canadian who graduated from Harvard is appointed Head of the Department of Commercial Economics, Faculty of Arts. Teaching begins as an option within the Faculty of Arts.

1919

Due to demand from WWI veterans, Dr. W. Sherwood Fox, Dean, Faculty of Arts and Science and Dr. K.P.R. Neville, University Registrar, investigate options for teaching Commerce and Business.

1919

Drs. Neville and Fox conduct a comprehensive study of all recognized business courses of University grade in North America. It was determined that the Harvard School of Business case study method was the most effective style of teaching.