- Jul 31, 2014
Maximize the value of your EMBA degree. Accelerate your career.
These phrases are not buzz words. They are the outcomes of the three-part Career Series 2014 developed by Ivey Asia for its EMBA alumni and prospective candidates.
The recently completed series combined formal presentations with open and honest discussions to give audiences a guide to mapping out their career path, said Tony Bego, Director, Career Services at Ivey Asia.
“Getting your EMBA is a critical way to accelerate your career,” said Bego. “These seminars helped integrate what students learned in the program with their career goals.”
Here are some of the key learnings from each of the seminars:
Leveraging Your Ivey Degree:
- Participants learned strategies for leveraging their EMBA, throughout the life of their careers, including how to accelerate your career, maximizing the power of the Ivey alumni network, and how to create opportunities for success for both individuals and companies.
Leveraging LinkedIn for Your Career:
- Neil Vyner, EMBA ’10, and Global Account Director for LinkedIn, shared valuable information on best practices for using LinkedIn, how to make connections and how to expand your business development opportunities.
Managing Your Career, Featuring Senior Ivey Executives:
- The panel discussion featured the experiences of senior executives Victor Mok, EMBA ’02, CEO, DHL Supply Chain North Asia, and Peter Chan, EMBA ’05, Managing Director at Lighthouse Technologies.
“Each session was awesome and fit together to give a great overview of how to manage your career,” said Steve Lawrence, EMBA '08, Manager, Training and Development at Cathay Pacific. Lawrence shared several insights gained from attending the career series.
- Have a vision of where you want to go and keep moving. Engineer your own moves and don’t wait for something to come to you.
- Seek to obtain as much experience as possible. Get on projects that give you valuable experience.
- Seek to make yourself redundant by having someone do your job better. This will force you to consider your next career move.
Going forward, the sessions will evolve to include more one-on-one components to delve into more career-specific issues, such as how to build an effective CV, and how to prepare for your performance review.
Watch for more Career Sessions in Ivey Asia Update.